My current book!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

AGING IS ANOTHER COUNTRY

“Actually, aging, after fifty, is an exciting new period; it IS another country.” Gloria Steinem

Never before in human history have we had the real possibility of living beyond one hundred years. To be truthful, there are days when that prospect excites me and days when it scares me silly. On the positive side, is it really possible that I may have so much more time to realize a few of my dreams, finish reading all the books I bought, make new friends, have new adventures, repair screwed up relationships, and organize (once and for all) my front hall closet.

Then there are the days when the thought of 100 (or even 90) gives me the “willies”. I imagine all that sagging skin, all those dearly beloved dead friends, all those lost umbrellas and gloves, pills to take, and young know-it-all doctors to undress for, not to mention insurance forms to fill out.

I’m in a nearly constant debate with myself---do I prefer to age into decrepitude or will I give up and call the cosmic taxi for a fast ride to the other side while I still have gray matter that functions, and while I still look and feel pretty good!

Horace B. Deets, one time AARP Executive Director, tells us that it’s time we “learn how to deal with the longevity bonus productively---The new reality of aging is that we must all plan and prepare to live long, healthy and productive lives.” So perhaps we should keep our hearts and minds open to ways we can debunk the myths, fight the worn-out stereotypes---become warriors of a kind. I think about being a warrior and I want to take a nap. Then I shift to a burning curiosity that begs for an answer to the question---what will that “other country” have in store for me? And for heaven’s sake, what will my passport picture look like!?

How do you feel about this?What would you like to accomplish if you live to be 100?

No comments:

Post a Comment