My current book!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

ACCEPTING CHANGE

“Life is change. It will change around you if you don’t change with it.” Helen Gurley Brown at age 78


I’m more and more aware everyday that everything is in a constant state of change--our bodies, our homes, our families, our spiritual connection---the world around us. Sure we can use lots energy to fight and resist. But there is something bold and strong about surrender---about accepting that hange is inevitable. Resisting it causes our souls great sorrow and pain and as a result we risk missing out on the potential for enormous joy. Once you turn 50, there is clear evidence that your body is changing, your family and friends are changing, your strength and speed of processing are changing, and your priorities are changing. What do you do with these changes? Denial, acceptance?

As for me, if acceptance means “approval”, I say NO---I don’t approve of some of what happens as we age. If acceptance means I will work change into my life, then I say YES. If change means painful loss and disappointment, I say NO---I don’t want any of that! (and do I have a choice?) If change means growth, forward movement, and a refreshed attitude, I say YES. If acceptance means I will let myself go as I age then I say NO. Frances Weaver, author of The Girls with the Grandmother Faces (Hyperion, NY, NY, 1996). tells us it’s our attitude toward all these changes that’s most important. She says, “The sincere desire to lead a productive, interesting life at any age depends upon our own imagination and acceptance of new ideas.”

If you embrace this time of dynamic change chances are you will feel more peaceful. You have an opportunity to approach your life as an adventure. Say YES to feeling peaceful---and say YES to adventure. How do you feel about this? How is your life changing and what are you learning to accpet?

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog today and I really like it, especially this post!

    ReplyDelete